- Ahmadi, M., Behzadnia, B., & Amani, J. (2016). "The factorial structure of the Behavioral Regulation in Sport Questionnaire (BRSQ-6) in college sport". Applied Research of Sport Management and Biology, 4(16); 85-96.
- Alvarez, M. S., Balaguer, I., Castillo, I., & Duda, J. L. (2012). "The coach-created motivational climate, young athletes’ well-being, and intentions to continue participation". Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology, 6(2), 166-179.
- Behzadnia, B., & Deci, E. L. (2017). Teachers’ Autonomy Support and Positive Physical-Education Outcomes Paper presented at the 10th Anniversary Meeting of the Society for the Study of Motivation, Boston, MA.
- Behzadnia, B., Ahmadi, M., & Amani, J. (2017). "The factorial structure of the self-regulation questionnaire in college physical education classes (SRQ-PE)". Research on Sport Management and Motor Behavior, 7(13), 39-48.
- Behzadnia, B., Mohammadzadeh, H., & Ahmadi, M. (2017). "Autonomy-supportive behaviors promote autonomous motivation, knowledge structures, motor skills learning and performance in physical education". Current Psychology. doi:10.1007/s12144-017-9727-0
- Biddle, S., Soos, I., & Chatzisarantis, N. (1999). "Predicting physical activity intentions using goal perspectives and self-determination approaches". European Psychologist, 4, 83–89.
- Chatzisarantis, N. L. D., Biddle, S. J. H., & Meek, G. A. (1997). "A self‐determination theory approach to the study of intentions and the intention–behaviour relationship in children's physical activity". British Journal of Health Psychology, 2(4), 343-360.
- Chen, B., Vansteenkiste, M., Beyers, W., Boone, L., Deci, E. L., Van der Kaap-Deeder, J., . . . Verstuyf, J. (2015). "Basic psychological need satisfaction, need frustration, and need strength across four cultures". Motivation and Emotion, 39(2), 216-236.
- Cheon, S. H., Reeve, J., & Song, Y. G. (2016). "A Teacher-Focused Intervention to Decrease PE Students' Amotivation by Increasing Need Satisfaction and Decreasing Need Frustration". Journal Sport Exerc Psychol, 38(3), 217-235. doi:10.1123/jsep.2015-0236
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (1985). Intrinsic motivation and self-determination in human behavior. New York: Plenum.
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (2000). "The "what" and "why" of goal pursuits: Human needs and the self-determination of behavior". Psychological Inquiry, 11(4), 227-268. doi:Doi 10.1207/S15327965pli1104_01
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. (2002). Handbook of self-determination research. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester Press.
- Haerens, L., Aelterman, N., Vansteenkiste, M., Soenens, B., & Van Petegem, S. (2015). "Do perceived autonomy-supportive and controlling teaching relate to physical education students' motivational experiences through unique pathways? Distinguishing between the bright and dark side of motivation". Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 16, 26-36.
- Haerens, L., Kirk, D., Cardon, G., De Bourdeaudhuij, I., & Vansteenkiste, M. (2010). "Motivational profiles for secondary school physical education and its relationship to the adoption of a physically active lifestyle among university students". European Physical Education Review, 16(2), 117-139.
- Haerens, L., Vansteenkiste, M., De Meester, A., Delrue, J., Tallir, I., Vande Broek, G., . . . Aelterman, N. (2017). "Different combinations of perceived autonomy support and control: identifying the most optimal motivating style". Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, 1-21.
- Hagger, M. S., Chatzisarantis, N. L. D., Culverhouse, T., & Biddle, S. J. H. (2003). "The processes by which perceived autonomy support in physical education promotes leisure-time physical activity intentions and behavior: a trans-contextual model". Journal of Educational Psychology, 95(4), 784.
- Jang, H., Kim, E. J., & Reeve, J. (2016). "Why students become more engaged or more disengaged during the semester: A self-determination theory dual-process model". Learning and Instruction, 43, 27-38. doi:10.1016/j.learninstruc.2016.01.002
- Keshtidar, M., & Behzadnia, B. (2017). "Prediction of intention to continue sport in athlete students: A self-determination theory approach". PloS one, 12(2), e0171673.
- Ntoumanis, N. (2001). "A self‐determination approach to the understanding of motivation in physical education". British journal of educational psychology, 71(2), 225-242.
- Ntoumanis, N. (2005). "A prospective study of participation in optional school physical education using a self-determination theory framework". Journal of Educational Psychology, 97(3), 444.
- Quested, E., Ntoumanis, N., Viladrich, C., Haug, E., Ommundsen, Y., Van Hoye, A., ... & Duda, J. L. (2013). "Intentions to drop-out of youth soccer: A test of the basic needs theory among European youth from five countries". International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 11(4), 395-407.
- Ryan, R. M., & Deci, E. L. (2000). "Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being". American Psychologists, 55(1), 68-78.
- Ryan, R. M., & Deci, E. L. (2017). Self-determination theory: basic psychological needs in motivation, development and wellness. New York: Guilford.
- Sage G. (1977). Introduction to motor behaviour: A neuropsychological approach (2nd ed). Reading, MA:Addison-Wesley.
- Vansteenkiste, M., & Ryan, R. M. (2013). "On psychological growth and vulnerability: Basic psychological need satisfaction and need frustration as a unifying principle". Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 23(3), 263.
- Wang, J. C. K., Morin, A. J. S., Ryan, R. M., & Liu, W. C. (2016). "Students’ Motivational Profiles in the Physical Education Context". Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 1-46.